- Everything is in/ Nothing is out. Some style experts say that if an item has not been worn in 1-2 years, it should be discarded; I strongly disagree with this advice. Older items mixed with current styles are often the reason an outfit is distinctive, chic, and fabulous.
- Items should be discarded based on fit and quality.
- It's all in the mix.
- An item should only be purchased if it takes your breath away.
- Why wear black? The decision to wear black should be deliberate and not a cop out.
- All hemlines can work.
- Accessories can change a look dramatically.
- Certain designers and stores are "go to". (This list will depend on your aesthetic, physique, and budget).
- Comfort and ease are essential. Example: If you try on a beautiful sweater and it is itchy, do not buy it because you will never wear it! You will always think ITCH!
- The rule of opposites: contrast makes items pop. Masculine with feminine, neutrals with colors, Fitted items paired with loose ones, rustic with refined, sporty with formal, ethnic items mixed with classic items or a ball gown, you get the idea.